King Tutankhamun’s Stolen Dad Found; Egypt Sites to Reopen on Sunday

CAIRO (AP).- Egypt said it will reopen historical sites to tourism on Sunday as it sought to revive a key industry shattered in the turmoil that ousted President Hosni Mubarak. Archaeologists were cheered by the recovery of the most important artifact stolen from Cairo’s Egyptian Museum, a rare statue of King Tut’s father. A 16-year-old anti-government protester found the statue of the Pharaoh Akhenaten next to a garbage can and his family returned it, the antiquities ministry said. But damage to Egypt’s heritage may have been greater than previously thought, as officials reported new cases of break-ins at archaeological sites. Zahi Hawass, head of the Ministry of State for Antiquities, had reported a total of 18 missing museum artifacts, three of which were found on the museum grounds, possibly abandoned by looters making their escape. The antiquities ministry

Back To Top